Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Angels Among Us 5k

We decided to run the Angels Among Us 5k in Durham with some friends from Plank Chapel UMC because it sounded fun and it was for an incredibly good cause - to raise money as a team for the Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke.

My dear friend Megan let us borrow her jogging stroller and we prepared Kathleen for her first race by telling her what all she could expect in the days leading up to the event. I think just calling it a "race" was the most exciting part for her. The night before the event we put her to bed saying, "Sleep well. We're going to have to get up earlier than normal to go to the race. It will still be dark out when you wake up." Well Kathleen was so excited she woke up two different times during the night asking, "Is it time to go to the race yet?" I told her not yet and we cuddled in her bed together until she fell back asleep.

This was our first race together as an entire family. Calvin pushed the stroller and we ran with each other the entire time. Running as a family was more enjoyable than I ever expected. Kathleen fell asleep at about the half way mark. She was worn out from all the feelings of excitement the night before. Our official time was 36:17 running 11:40 min miles. Not fast, but not bad! My goal was to beat 12 min miles and we did! Success.

This single event gave me an idea of how fun it could be to run faster to keep up with Calvin (or at least make it not so hard on him to slow down and run with me every so often). I've been stuck on 12 min miles for the past 5-6 years without pushing myself do any better. Why not? Next step - 10 min miles.

Yes, my shirt says Duke on it.... It is a Chronicle v109 tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment